The other day I went to feed the cats as usual, rounded the corner of the laundry and was greeted with a swarm of black. Ants went scattering as I picked up the now definitely empty containers to clean, evacuated the cats, and sprayed away. I followed the trail around the corner and into the kitchen, where they had come up right under the pantry.
I was fairly relieved to find they hadn't even entered the pantry at all, after fearing what I might find in there. No, in fact the 'trail blazer' ant who made the original cat food find, had popped up from under the house, instinctively followed the walls until he came across something edible, raced back to the nest and bingo, a whole industrious following happened.
The ants had no idea that sitting right above their heads was an absolute smorgasbord of human food, even an open dish of honey! Why am I telling you this little tale?
Some of you will have guessed I am going to make an analogy with prayer, (like all good preachers?) and even what it is: Are we settling for catfood, following what is traditional or shown to us by others when it comes to our relationship with God? Or are we prepared to stretch ourselves a bit to work our way upwards, towards stuff designed for human consumption and provided in abundance? It might take a bit more effort in the first place, but the quality of the results is waaaay better, and better still, if anyone else follows you they'll thank you in the end!
I've already suggested the first thing we need to do is be prepared to let go of 'old stuff', worldviews that may not be serving us well (and now, catfood!). But the other thing you need in order to have a significant life change is to get/develop/desire a hunger for the real thing.
Most of us are happy to spit out the catfood. Now, do we really want something to replace it? 'Cause it would be easier to ignore the whole trailblazing thing and go back to being an infant ant that just gets carried around, fed and stroked, you get the picture. It actually costs something to get out there and look for better kai. (If you're like me you get sooo sick of hearing - "it's gonna cost you!") So, I'll put out a teaser and let you know, the cost is actually pretty much a buzz in itself, so not as hard as it sounds. The point is, you still need to WANT it first.
Assignment: This week, try writing down some of the stuff that comes to you that hasn't been working in your life. At the same time, a list of reasons why you really need to advance in your relationship with God, or effectiveness in prayer. There is power in writing things down, so go for it! You may be surprised at what the Holy Spirit brings to mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment