Sunday, October 30, 2011

How to Pray V111 - Practical Stuff #2

2: 'See what He sees'
Its been a while since I last updated, so it might pay to read my previous post again to reconnect with the Practical Stuff and familiarise yourself with what number1 was about. (I've been flat out having to put #1 into action!)
Once you know you're ready to listen in your prayer time (after having got into Rest first) - and remember I said you'll just 'feel the conclusion' - it might help to start by imagining the Lord whispering to you; "Do you see what I see?"
Now if we were dealing with pure logic and intellect here, you could get quite far just by knowing your Bible well enough to intuit the answer. Say if you were praying for healing for yourself, for example, what do you know for sure the Father's heart is about your healing? Reminding yourself of His promises found in scripture is a fairly safe way of trying to see what He sees. Remember when He looks at you He sees not you, but Christ in you. So He sees you perfect, healed, whole, full of righteousness, wisdom and power.
However, I am not actually talking about this kind of self-effort way of pumping yourself up by what you already know. This takes you out of grace and back into your own efforts. So SURPRISE if you thought the answer was something like this! (No harm in this of course, if it comes naturally to you anyway. Its a great habit if it comes bubbling out of your relationship with Christ.)
Listen, our relationship with Him is supposed to be one of encounter as a regular happening thing. That means we can tangibly feel His Presence and understand where He is leading us. He can drop thoughts into our brains and if we spend time listening we'll actually realise it! The key to this is the same thing that got you saved in the first place - just BELIEVE that He lives in you, and TRUST that He WILL speak to you/lead you.
But it will help if you are specific. So specifically put before Him the thing that concerns you the most (just THINK it or briefly verbalise it - He does know already), and then just listen. Yes, wait. Wait until you hear. Have music on if you like, or look at the sunrise if you like, or be in complete silence, or whatever as we have discussed before - your peculiar tastes. But try not to get out of rest until you know you have heard from the Living God. You need the encouragement this sort of encounter brings. (And you need it to happen often.)

Now I know I just said be specific, but I have to warn you our God has a wry sense of humour and seldom answers any question humans ask Him directly. (Look in the Jesus stories - each time He answered a question with a question of His own, or chastised them, or told them something else altogether!)
I have found while I'm waiting on Him I suddenly become aware I have been thinking about something else and a piece of wisdom about it has materialised! It's so random and cool and so, well, Jesus for you.
Some of you will 'see' things visually - dream dreams and see visions, etc. Some of you will learn in metaphors, parables or parallel universes. Some of you will just experience logic and reason coz that's the way you roll. But if it lines up with what you know about the character and nature of God, you have heard right! Enjoy seeing what He sees.
Now you're ready to give permission for it to happen - next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment